Thursday, November 19, 2015

Welcome

I was looking for something else & found this poem that I wrote in 2011. I think you probably know why I felt compelled to post it today...


Banquet Scene with a Lute Player by Nicolas Tournier, 1625

Welcome

Beggar blind man rich man fool
Teacher’s pet & satan’s tool
The watchful waiting wary too
All are welcome at the table

The first the last the meek & mild
Weakened hearts and Thursday’s child
Wicked warped and undefiled
All are welcome at the table

Ancient crones and newborn souls
Ishmael Isaac Vishnu Joe
The undecided and in the know
All are welcome at the table

Come in come in it’s almost time
I’ll wash your feet and you wash mine
Eat the bread and drink the wine
Just join me at the table!

Dana Rhyne
5/24/11

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Back when there was so much discussion about whether Catholic congressmen/women should be refused communion if they supported women's rights to abortion, our priest wisely counseled that Jesus did not ask anyone their beliefs when he fed the five thousand. All were welcome. Your poem is one of inclusion and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I love that inclusive message.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I'd love to hear what you have to say!

2024 Project 365 – Week Twelve

I woke up not feeling well and skipped church (for the second week in a row - oops), but that doesn’t keep me from being deep in the throes ...